How to Slow Dance on Video (DVD)
#1 Rated Slow Dancing Instruction for Weddings, Prom & Date Nights
A one-of-a-kind, step-by-step set of slow dance DVDs that shows couples how to slow dance, properly, using well-paced exercises & easy-to-follow patterns. You'll never look at slow dancing the same again!
"We listened to the DVD lessons a few times. It is great that when she or I had questions, we could simply stop, rewind and practice at our own pace. Shawn Trautman explains steps and moves in an easy-to-understand, confident manner."
Most Popular Slow Dancing Multi-Pack Deals
Slow Dance Starter Pack
View all Wedding Dance DVDs
||Dance lesson videos included in this set:
Key Features of this set:
- An all-in-one assortment of show-stopping slow dance moves
- Easy-to-follow slow dance lessons made perfect for beginners
- Great for practicing moves on stay-at-home date nights
- Real-life slow dancing that works in all situations
Most Popular Slow Dancing DVDs
Slow Dancing for Beginners Volume 1
Define your moves and learn to Slow Dance with Style! Learn today… dance tonight! Easy & Fun Slow Dance Lessons on DVD from the authors of Picture Yourself Dancing!
Slow Dancing for Beginners Volume 2
Learn to dance even more of those graceful, charming Slow Dance Moves. Learn today… dance tonight! Easy & Fun Slow Dance Lessons on DVD from the authors of Picture Yourself Dancing!
Dance Lessons 101
Dance Lessons 101 goes through 8 major dances, including Cha-Cha & Salsa. If you want to get a quick run down of the steps on these dances this is the DVD for you!
How to Waltz! Waltz 101 is the perfect starting point anyone wanting to learn a timeless romantic dance that is much more than a simple box step. Shawn & Joanna Trautman show you the right look & style to make this dance your own in either ballroom or country settings.
Slow Dancing lessons made FUN & Easy!
Ah, the slow dance. there’s nothing like it to foster intimacy between a couple. the man reaches his arms around his beloved, holding her tightly, and the woman melts into his strong embrace. learn to slow dance the
It’s time to get beyond the classic “bob and sway” of middle school slow dancing. Wow your sweetheart by learning to slow dance with skill – better yet, have them participate in a Shawn Trautman DVD lesson with you. The newly-released Slow Dance for Beginners Volumes 1 and 2 add more to your dance repertoire than the simply sway, and Shawn Trautman’s teaching techniques impart the confidence you need to take your experience to the next level.
- Dance closer than ever before. Shawn uses easy to follow instruction and picture-in-picture depictions of technique and steps.It’s a creative teaching style unmatched by other dance DVDs; the Trautman touch gives students all of the benefits of private lessons without the cost or hassle.
- Trautman slow dance lessons combine simple steps with the ever-perceptive sway. After completing a DVD lesson, you’ll actually be able to traverse the dance floor, making in-place swaying a distant memory.
- Twirl, twist and dip your partner. After all, this is the dance of love. Make it an even more intimate experience by enrolling in a Trautman slow dance DVD class – after you’ve mastered the slow and sensuous slow dance, you can always move on to Shawn’s spicy Salsa instruction.
These are our most popular products for Slow Dancing. Continue down the page for more products that you may want to check out.
Slow Dance Fundamentals
Since the beginning of time, people have stood together and swayed in the comfort of each other's arms. Then one day, music was invented, and people still swayed. In the 1400's, people came to America for a new beginning. The music played, and the people still swayed. The new millenium is here; the music still plays. Why are you still swaying? Shawn Trautman's Dance Collection is here to provide steps that will make every moment memorable. Every move is a new and innovative method designed to make you feel comfortable on the dance floor. Step into a new world; and never say "I'm sorry, I can't dance" again with these Slow Dance Lessons on DVD by Shawn Trautman.
Glide across the dance floor with skillful slow dance technique and you’ll think more about the fun intimacy you’re creating than the timing of a turn. The intimate nature of slow dance lends itself well to beginner instruction. It’s very easy to relax when you’re dancing with a trusted partner and even beginning slow dancers enjoy the learning process, laughing at any mistake and fixing the problem together.
To keep the “fun” in fundamentals, learn to dance with Shawn Trautman DVDs. The world-renowned dance instructor won’t just tell you how to slow dance – he’ll show you the steps using multiple camera angles and invite you to dance along. By the end of each lesson, you’ll be ready to lead or follow any slow dance a DJ chooses to play..
- The Slow Dance for Beginners collection offers students a natural progression of skills. Clear a small space in front of the TV screen and enroll you and your partner in the day’s lesson. Only have a set amount of time? Pause the DVD and come back at a later date – you’ll start the lesson right where you left off.
- When you venture out into the public slow dance forum, remember that your dancing skills aren’t the only prerequisite for an enjoyable time. If you plan to ask strangers to dance, make the experience fun for them as well. This isn’t the time to show off your moves and leave a partner in utter confusion. Work together just as Shawn Trautman taught you to do and each slow dance will be enjoyable.
Slow Dance using the Trautman Method
The Shawn Trautman recipe for slow dance success involves one part education, one part explanation, and two parts demonstration. Mix the elements together and you have an effective slow dance
lesson that’s tailored to your individual dancing needs. World-renowned dance teacher Shawn Trautman spent years perfecting his mix of straightforward instruction and picture-in-picture step demonstration and now students world-wide are reaping the benefits.
Slow dance with Shawn Trautman. Start with the Slow Dance for Beginners collection and quickly graduate to the Slow and Romantic Dance Sampler. There’s no need to wait for group lessons that may be too advanced or basic for your individual situation. Simply fast-forward or rewind your Shawn Trautman class as many times as you necessary – and then take your skills (and your dancing shoes) to the nearest dance floor.
- Unlike other students who are taught dances as separate entities, Shawn Trautman pupils learn the building blocks of each dance. They don’t simply “copy” a dance sequence – they learn to recognize the reasons for the steps and are able to use them as building blocks for future advanced moves.
- Start from the beginning – or the middle – or the end. The downfall of a group lesson is that the instructor must somehow please everyone and that means placating the person who has never danced before as well as the dancer who is edging toward the intermediate level. Shawn Trautman DVDs appeal to the pure beginner as well as those who know the basics but need to hone their skills.
Learn the Shawn Trautman way and you’ll embrace slow dancing throughout your lifetime – the dance that’s undoubtedly the most romantic and sensual.
Become the 'Slow Dance Master'
Observe slow dance experts. Their eyes light up when the DJ plays Barry Manilow or Celine Dion. If single, they don’t hesitate when asking a stranger to dance. After all, they’ve got the expertise of Shawn Trautman behind them, guiding their steps. The married masters visibly renew their commitment from the moment they step onto the dance floor, holding their partner close and keeping perfect time.
There’s no dance more personal than the slow dance and you can join the master ranks with Shawn Trautman learn how to dance DVDs. Picture-in-picture technology conveniently displays the dance from every angle, while Shawn Trautman expertly explains the nuances of leading and following step-by-step.
Enroll in the slow dance master course today. Your curriculum will include the two volumes of Slow Dancing for Beginners and the Slow and Romantic Dance Sampler. These are easy to follow dance lessons that test you at the end of each lesson by having you dance along with the instructor.
Ace the art of slow dancing with Shawn Trautman DVDs.
- Visualize. Watch the DVD and put yourself in the dancers’ shoes. Actually see yourself doing the steps, making the arm movements and guiding or following your partner around the floor.
- Count. Each slow dance basic is comprised of four counts (two sets of step-touches). Start your inner metronome and keep it ticking to help you stay on track.
- Practice with honesty. That means you, followers! If the person leading you is not doing the job correctly, convince them to start the dance again. Practice the right way and come dance time, you’ll be masters of the slow dance together.
Enjoying a Slow Dance
Your beloved is secure in your arms and your slow dance movements are coming naturally, almost as second nature. The music is soft. The lights are low. You and your partner move as one, perfectly melding together during a romantic ballad.
The pinnacle of a slow dance arrives when you’ve internalized the steps and can fully enjoy the closeness of the moment. When you understand the basics of how to dance to the music while mimicking your partner’s body movements, it’s easy to focus all your attention on your partner. For students of Shawn Trautman’s DVD instruction
, this dance of love is one they‘ll enjoy for the rest of their life.
- The first tenet of slow dance to remember is to relax. Slow dance offers a perfect opportunity to spend quality time with your partner and stiffly turning or dipping them will only make them scared of being dropped. Practice in private with a Shawn Trautman DVD like Slow Dancing for Beginners Volume 1 before you set foot on a public dance floor.
- Don’t limit your locations. Slow dance is a stationary discipline. It doesn’t demand much space. Dance when the spirit moves you, whether it’s in your living room, at a wedding or after eating tiramisu at a romantic Italian restaurant.
- Build upon your basic skills. Once you’re comfortable with the slow dance, add new dimensions to the lead. Momentum turns, arches, dips and leans will come easily once you go through Slow Dancing for Beginners Volume 2.
- Focus on spending time with your partner. After all, that’s what the slow dance is all about!
Build your Confidence to Slow Dance
Are you searching for a slow dance confidence boost? Sign up for slow dance lessons with Shawn Trautman and follow his expert instruction until momentum turns, leans and arches become automatic. To find surety in your step, trust the Slow Dance for Beginners Series to take you from hesitant foot-stomper to graceful romantic. With Shawn Trautman slow dance DVDs, confidence comes standard.
- Learn the basics. Follow Shawn Trautman’s direction as he and his wife and dance partner, Joanna, demonstrate the correct form for a slow dance. The Trautman method revolves around your willingness to visualize yourself dancing. Literally, “dance in your head” first – and then follow along with step-by-step instructions that are clear and easy.
- Practice, practice, practice. Although you’ll be ready to slow dance after just one ninety-minute DVD session, give yourself piece of mind through constant repetition. That way, once you’re ready to engage in a romantic slow dance, you’ll only be thinking about your partner – not whether you’re starting off on the right foot.
- Periodically perform drill sequences to keep your skills sharp. One Shawn Trautman favorite is called the “Close, Closer, and Really Close.” It involves the connection points you make with your partner and allows you to become in tune with their every movement. Another favorite is the “Slow, Medium, and Fast.” Practice your slow dancing to varied tempos, and you’ll be able to execute whether the DJ plays Whitney Houston’s I Will Always Love You, the quicker Louis Armstrong gem What a Wonderful World, or any number of other great slow dance songs.
Gain the confidence to slow dance. Enroll in a Shawn Trautman DVD course today and use the skills throughout the rest of your life.
How to "take the lead" in a Slow Dance
The answer is found in one word: immediately. A slow dance mimics the nuances of any relationship. It involves give and take, leading and following, a trust between partners that transcends the need to control.
To avoid confusion, one dancer must act as the appointed leader. This is traditionally a male role, but for same-sex couples, it may be necessary to appoint a leader before the dance begins. Once you’ve established the lead and follow roles, it’s important not to deviate from them. Do so, and you’ll engage in pushing and pulling each other around the dance floor and/or stepping on toes or arguing profusely – never a welcome sight.
Having trouble following? Close your eyes. Trust your leader to guide you around the floor. Then go home and pop a Shawn Trautman slow dance lesson into the DVD player. After ninety minutes, you’ll internalize the nuances of your role during each slow dance. The detailed instruction provides both leaders and followers with the tools they need to slow dance with style.
- Leaders, it’s all up to you to direct the steps of a slow dance. That sounds like a lot of pressure, but when you have a responsive and understanding partner, it works. The two keys to a successful slow dance lead are confidence and a consistent frame using all four connection points. Be sure in your actions. Otherwise, your follower may misinterpret you, and the dance no longer becomes fluid.
- Seamless slow dancing is all about matching a partner’s movements, so if it’s not going well, it’s usually the fault of the leader. Remember that before you point fingers!.
If you're looking for some great music to Slow Dance, please check out our Slow Dance Music pages.
How to Ask a Stranger to Slow Dance
The DJ selects a song ideal for a slow dance and your eyes meet a stranger’s gaze across the dance floor. Do you: (a) Glide toward the person with confidence, sure in your abilities (after all, you’ve completed Shawn Trautman’s how to Slow Dance DVD series,) (b) Wait until your palms stop sweating as you try to remember whether to add a dip or a sway into the equation, or (c) Walk to the nearest bar and buy a drink – it’s easier than mumbling “sorry” as you repeatedly step on a stranger’s feet.
Become a Shawn Trautman DVD student and you’ll always answer “a.” Pupils who complete the Slow Dancing for Beginners series and the Slow and Romantic Dance Sampler have all the confidence they need to ask a stranger to dance. Along with a detailed knowledge of the steps that make up a slow dance, they understand the basic dance rules that pertain when propositioning a stranger to join you on the dance floor.
Some additional pointers and guidelines for asking a stranger to dance include the following:
- Make sure your personal hygiene is impeccable. Deodorant and breath mints are two items that should always be close at hand.
- Politeness is never overrated. Ask the person if they would like to dance and tack a “please” on the end of the question. Don’t let your hands wander when they say “yes.”
- Offer your hand – Lead the person out on the floor with the confidence you’ve gained from mastering the Shawn Trautman Slow Dance DVD lessons.
- Dance as if you know what you’re doing. You do – Shawn Trautman’s taught you everything you need to slow dance with ease.
The Best Slow Dance Songs of All-Time
Ideal slow dance songs inspire dancers to embrace the closeness of the moment. At its core, the slow dance is a personal dance, one that fosters romance and intimacy. The correct tune for the moment can enhance the experience tenfold – and innately understanding the steps before the music even starts helps immeasurably. The Slow Dance for Beginners series (Volumes I and II) by Shawn Trautman takes you to that comfort level.
Below are some Trautman picks for the most romantic slow dance songs of all time. After you finish your Trautman DVD lessons, choose your own playlist - and literally sweep your significant other off their feet.
Below is Shawn Trautman's list of The Best Slow Dance Songs of All-Time
- I Loved Her First by Heartland – This song is fast becoming a mainstay at weddings as it could be danced as a Waltz or a Slow Dance. The beautifully-crafted lyrics focus on the relationship between a father and a daughter.
- Bless the Broken Road by Rascal Flatts – A hit song that broke barriers in both pop and country to land solidly as the first dance in many Weddings since 2004. Great song to slow dance to while reminiscing of what events led you to that moment.
- You Are So Beautiful by Joe Crocker – Tell your sweetheart what you’re feeling without ever saying a word. This song says it all. It’s a classic slow dance favorite.
- Unforgettable by Nat King Cole – The slight uptempo of Nat King Cole’s famous tune lends a giddy feel to any slow dance.
- I Swear by All for One – Whether you’ve sworn wedding vows with your partner or have just met the person in your arms, this song undoubtedly will bring you closer.
- Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing by Aerosmith – Unleash your romantic rocker and close your eyes while you slow dance to the music.
- Everything I Do (I Do It For You) by Bryan Adams – A popular song in the movie Robin Hood, it’s also a mainstay on the slow dance floor.
For more Slow Dance songs and recommendations for Weddings, see the song lists on Trautman’s Dance Music pages.
Prepare for Slow Dance at a Wedding
The wedding slow dance doesn’t have to be the stereotypical stand-and-sway. Brides, grooms and guests add style to their step with Shawn Trautman slow dance DVDs. Slow dance wedding-goers lead and follow with confidence. And unlike other guests who condemn themselves to sitting on the sidelines and eating multiple slices of wedding cake, they’re happy to jump onto the floor when the DJ calls another dance.
The Shawn Trautman dual DVD set comprised of Slow Dance for Beginners Volumes I and II takes you from the couple’s first introduction as man and wife to the moment the DJ plays the last song of the night. Add the and Slow and Romantic Dance Sampler for more variety and you’ll see each wedding invitation as a summons not only to celebrate a new union, but to practice your dance skills as well.
Don’t wait to schedule a group lesson. Purchase a Shawn Trautman slow dance DVD and you’ll enjoy private instruction in the privacy of your own home. Master the deliberate sensuality of slow dancing. Wedding receptions will never be the same.
Benefits abound for:
- The wedding party - Grooms, learn to dip your bride without dropping her -- that’s never a good way to start a marriage! Brides, watch, listen, and mimic how Shawn Trautman’s dance partner, Joanna, follows his lead. Practice with your relatives (and those soon to be) and the mother/son and father/daughter dances will go off without a hitch.
- Wedding guests – You’ll attend countless weddings and receptions throughout your lifetime. Shawn Trautman slow dance DVDs make sure you can slow dance through all of them.
Considerations when Planning Slow Dance for Your Wedding
Brides and grooms: your wedding slow dance choices project volumes about your relationship. Victims of a lack of preparation not only bore their guests with the unskillful bob-and-sway, but send a message that as a couple, they’re not in synch. Choose to make the moment memorable with underarm turns, dips and leans expertly completed in time to the music. You’ll get true enjoyment out of each slow dance and your guests will view your skill as an expression of romance.
When choosing deliberate and sensual slow dances for a wedding, consider a few key factors:
- Location – Slow dance is considered a spot dance. Participants stay in one location on the floor, so a large area is not necessary. However, it’s helpful to imagine the number of people who may be dancing at one time when determining if the space is large enough.
- Music – Choose to slow dance throughout an entire reception and your guests will be falling asleep even with the after-cake coffee. Mix up the playlist with some up-tempo Swing or Salsa music and include some party line dances. That way, your single guests who don’t wish to ask a stranger to dance will still enjoy the night.
- Guest dance instruction – This can be done either at your reception or beforehand. Shawn Trautman’s dance lesson DVDs make for a great wedding party gift and ensure that your guests will be prepared to dance when the big night comes.
- Wedding party dances – Take time to consider the lyrics in any song you choose for a bride/groom, father/daughter or mother/son dance. This is a moment that you’ll always remember and honoring your slow dance partner should be foremost in your mind.
To browse through a large database of Wedding Slow Dances and other great dance music and song lists, check out Shawn Trautman’s dance music page.
Purchases over $50 qualify for
all How to Slow Dance Videos/DVDs are backed by our
Exclusive Satisfaction Guarantee!