Appreciation for Life’s Basic Experiences
The older I get, the more I grow appreciation for life’s basic experiences.
In a five minute period here a short while ago while standing near an open window I wrote a few things that truly bring a smile to my face.
Here’s a few of mine to throw out there (in the order they popped into my head):
– Friendship, conversations & ideas
– Creating something of value
– Helping a person in need
– Reading a book that makes me laugh or think in some new way
– Laughing with someone I care about
– Traveling to a new place
– Making a new friendship
– Hearing good news about a friend
– Watching others succeed
– Seeing the look on someone’s face when I teach them something
– The changing of seasons
– Getting out and dancing on a night off
– Watching someone do something they’re passionate about
– Listing to an old, familiar song
– Star-gazing on a clear, dark night
– Sitting around a bonfire at night with friends
– Listening to the sounds of nature/wildlife
– Hearing that I’ve made an impact on someone’s life
– Thinking through & fixing a problem
– Knowing the world is better because I’m in it
– Sitting on a beach watching the sunrise/sunset
– Watching children laugh
– Hiking and/or exploring the outdoors with friends or family
– Learning new words and definitions
– Surprising others in some way
– Listening to good story tellers
– Road trips
– Photography and capturing moments
– Rooting on a favorite sports team
Now, I’ll bet yours are different than mine, but that we also have quite a few in common.
And, that we ALL have some things we all value that are similar.
If you get a chance, list out some of the things that bring a smile to your face just by thinking of them (if they’re the same as any of mine, say so – if they’re different, say so).
I mean, really… how different are we?
#Reaction #Decision #Stress #Mindset #Check #Checkmate #Awareness #Options #Rebound #Lesson #Learn #Life #Health by SHAWN TRAUTMAN@shawntrautman “What does it matter?” “What’s the point?” Twice this week I’ve had these questions hurled at me with solemn contempt as...
#Check #Checkmate #Stress #Mindset #Awareness #Options #Rebound #Lesson #Learn #Life #Health by SHAWN TRAUTMAN @shawntrautman What’s the right move? Sometimes we’re in situations where there’s not a good solution. A no-win scenario, of sorts. All options seem like bad...
#Lead #Follow #Balance #Leadership #Lesson #Role #Dance #Life #Team #Family #Disaffiliate by SHAWN TRAUTMAN @shawntrautman A leader cannot lead followers who won’t follow. Think about it. But, first, what is a leader? What is a follower? What about those who are...
#Gravity #Posture #Stress #Mindset #Problems #Progress #Attitude #BabySteps #Life #Health by SHAWN TRAUTMAN @shawntrautman Fighting gravity is a losing game. Naturally, we all fight it from the day we’re born. The longer we live, the greater the pull towards the...
“Different strokes for different folks” - I’m using this picture to illustrate differences of opinion on a single topic. The story that accompanies this was not between Joanna and I, it was a guest we had for Christmas. Please read and share your thoughts... Have you...
#Balance #Worry #Stress #Cortisol #Dopamine #Serotonin #Endorphins #Lesson #Learn #Life #Health by SHAWN TRAUTMAN @shawntrautman Ebb & flow, yin & yang, give & take, plus & minus, positive & negative, left & right, increase & decrease, see...
What do you learn from others? In other words, where do you get your stories? Stories that are worth telling others. Meaningful encounters are so much more than small talk. Talk. Ask questions. Real questions. Not “how’s it going?” with no real intent to find out. Go...
The Law of Unintended Consequences Ever heard of it? In simple terms, a single change in a complex system will have a ripple effect, or consequences, downstream. The changes can be both positive or negative and the ones that we didn’t anticipate are considered...
Do you have back pain? A lot of people do. Mine wasn’t as bad 3 weeks ago as it is today. I’ve done a LOT of walking (probably 4 to 5 miles a day) as I’m in the process of building my legs back up after a couple of weeks of being on the road and driving a lot. The...
Playing the hand you’re dealt doesn’t mean you’ll win. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes you have a really good hand and get beat by someone with a better hand. Sometimes you win with a hand you shouldn’t have. It all depends on how you play what you’re...